Known as the “Whiskey” route, the Machame route is now the most popular route on the mountain. Compared with Marangu, the days on Machame are longer and the walks are steeper. The Machame route is considered a difficult route, and is better suited for more adventurous folks and those with some hiking or backpacking experience.
- Kilimanjaro airport/Arusha
- Shira/Lava Tower
- Lava Tower/Barranco
- Uhuru peak/Mweka
- Mweka/Mosh area
- Moshi area/Kilimanjaro airport
Price: From $ per person
- All Park fees, Picnic lunches. Rescue fees, Camping fees,
- All transfers as Indicated in the itinerary above,
- Hotel overnight after trek in Arusha.
- Accommodations based on double occupancy – Sleeping in the dome tents.
- Meals as per the above itinerary – 3 Meals a day – Vegetarians and Non vegetarians.
- Services of our staff throughout. The cook will be responsible for your 3 delicious meal a day.
- Services of a Senior Trekking Guides and assistance guide.
- All baggage handling – Recommended weight for clients’ backpack to be carried up the mountain is 15kgs. Kindly allow 5 kg for personal daypacks including Cameras.
- We will provide 1 guide and 1 assistant guides in this trekking. Our Guides are licensed and have received training from Mt. Kilimanjaro National Park Instructors.
- Transfers to the gate before and After Trek to Arusha.
- Services of our Camping equipment. These are Tents, Sleeping mattress, camping table and chairs etc.
- Soft drinks, beer, wine and spirits (as well as gifts like local crafts etc)
- Any local and international flights tickets (airline).
- Tips for staff such as guides, porters and the cook staff
- Fees for passport, visas, immunizations and insurance
- Meals and expenses en route to Tanzania
- Laundry, phone and other items of a personal nature
- We advice our clients to bring their own first Aid Kit.
All prices are in US Dollars per person based on double occupancy accommodations unless otherwise stated.
Other Travel Info
Budget Camping Safari: food supplied (Menu)
Fruit, egg, Fruit juice, eggs, bread/French toast/plain toast/pancakes.margarine/jam/honey/peanut-butter,cereals/porridge,Milo Pancakes, Oats, Omelette’s, tea/coffee
Sliced carrot & cucumber strips, seasonal fruits, boiled eggs, vegetable/meat cutlets, sandwiches (egg/cheese/tuna/tomato).
Soup (Mushroom/cucumber soup, Pumpkin soup/chicken/vegetable) bread, a meat dish, rice/pasta/potatoes, Fish curry/Noodles, vegetable dishes(Vegetable Kish etc, fruit, some local dishes which am sure they will be more interested to you.
Bush made cake accompanied with local Brewed Tanzanian coffee, Tea, Cup of hot Chocolate, Milo’s etc.
Below is the list of the gears that you should bring with you for trekking.
FOR FEET: Mt. Boots, Socks – at least 4/5 pairs (This must be thin and thick ones) 1 pair of gaiters, Sandal/open shoes,(optional)
1 thermal (warm) trousers, 1 thermal (warm) long underwear, 1 wind/water proof trousers.
2 or 1 long sleeved thermal shirts, 1 thermal T-shits, 1 thermal jacket or sweater, 1 down jacket, preferable wool attached one.
: 1 pc of roll foam or air mattress, 1 warm sleeping bag.
1 head lump and spare batteries, 1 pair or 1 pc of walking sticks, 1 pair of sunglasses or ice goggles, Sun block cream or Lotion, Lipstick cream, First Aid Kit, Camera + films with its spare batteries, passport book, a day pack, a rucksack or safari bag.
: Drinking water bottle (NALGEN) or any other brand like SIGG or optional, camel pack.
These Items can be also hired here in Arusha before your Trek,
Day by Day Program
DAY 1: FKILIMANJARO AIRPORT/ARUSHA
Our driver will pick you on your arrival at the airport whereby you will drive to Arusha town for overnight at the lodge booked for overnight.
DAY 2: ARUSHA/MACHAME
Pick up in the morning from your overnight hotel in Arusha and drive to Machame gate. The drive takes about 1hour and 30mnts driving from Arusha town. After registrations and briefing, hike through rain forest to Machame camp. 3000m above sea level. 5 hours trek.
DAY 3: MACHAME/SHIRA
Early start, across a valley and a stream and then climb up a steep ridge for about 3-5 hours. The path then drops into a gorge before you climb more gently onto the moorland of the Shira Plateau, one of the most fascinating areas of the Mountain. 3,840m asl.
DAY 4: SHIRA/LAVA TOWER
Acclimatization Day. Breakfast, hike up to the Shira Cone and back down to the camp for a late lunch. Beautiful views of the Shira plateau. Evening free at the Camp. It is also possible to hike up to the Lava Tower and stay at Lava Tower Camp for the night. This cuts down walking distance in the next leg to Barranco camp.
DAY 5: LAVA TOWER/BARRANCO
Morning after breakfast, hike up to Lava Tower (Wedge Buttress) at 4600m above Sea level. The trails descend gradually to Barranco Camp at 3950m asl. The hike takes about 5 to 7 hours. Beautiful views of the Barranco wall from the camp. Also called ‘the breakfast wall’ as you will have to climb it right after breakfast on the following day.
DAY 6: BARRANCO/BARAFU
Start after breakfast by conquering the Barranco Wall.so called the ‘breakfast wall’. The climb to the top of this wall takes about one and half hour. A good warm up for the rest of the days’ hike to Karanga Valley and on to Barafu Camp at 4600m asl. The hike takes about 7hours.
DAY 7: UHURU PEAK/MWEKA
Start for the last leg to Uhuru peak by 1215am – After 5 – 6 hours of a steady climb on heavy scree you’ll arrive at Stella Point on the rim of the Kibo Crater. A magnificent sunrise will welcome you to enjoy the beauty of the snows of The Kilimanjaro. After one and one half hour hike on the Southern rim of the Crater you’ll reach UHURU PEAK – The Highest Point in Africa at 5896m above sea level. Uhuru Peak – 6 to 7 hours
You’ve made it to the ‘ROOF OF AFRICA’! Cheers!!Moments will be spent here to take some memorable photos, admire the beautiful views of the Kibo Crater and the glacier fields. A ‘scintillating experience…
Retrace the route down to Barafu Camp for brunch. Descend to Mweka Camp. 5 to 7 hours. Alt 3100m.
DAY 8: MWEKA/MOSH AREA
Breakfast, descend leisurely to Mweka gate. 3 hours hike. After Certificate Awards and photos our transfer vehicle will drive you back to Arusha.
DAY 9: MOSHI AREA/KILIMANJARO AIRPORT
In the morning after done with your breakfast our driver will pick you from the hotel and drop you at the airport for your flight back home.